Apple just officially announced their new iPhone 7 and 7 Plus phones in San Francisco last night after accidentally tweeting the features and pictures of new phones quite a while before the event began. Nonetheless, despite having same design (for the most part) as the two year old iPhone 6 and having everything leaked days in advance, the official launch did bring some surprises.
If you missed the live stream of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus launch, here’s everything that you need to know about Apple’s new phones:
- There are two models as last year; the 4.7-inch iPhone 7 and the 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus.
- There are two new colors; Black (which is basically very dark matte black) and Jet Black (which is glossy black). The space grey is dropped while the silver, gold and rose gold are still there.
- 16GB storage option is dropped. The base storage option is now 32GB with higher options being 128GB and 256GB. The new Black and Jet Black colors are not available with 32GB storage.
- The new phones are IP67 water and dust resistant which means that if you accidentally drop your new iPhone in pool, it would probably be fine.
- The iconic Home Button is not physical anymore. It uses Apple’s Taptic Engine which simulates the feeling of being clicked.
- The displays on both the new phones are 25% brighter as compared to last year’s models and have wide color gamut.
- Both the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus have stereo speakers with twice the volume as before.
- Apple has removed the 3.5mm headphone jack and the new phones only have Lightening Port. They will ship with Lightening EarPods along with a Lightening to 3.5mm converter in case you still want to use old headphones. Apple has also introduced AirPod wireless headphones which can be purchased separately.
- Cameras have been vastly improved. The iPhone 7 comes with a new 12 megapixel main shooter with a 28mm wide angle lens, f/1.8 aperture and optical image stabilization. Whereas, the iPhone 7 Plus comes with dual camera system having one 28mm lens and one 56mm lens with both featuring the same f/1.8 aperture and separate 12 megapixel sensors. These two can work together to provide 2x optical zoom and up to 10x digital zoom. There is a new 7 megapixel FaceTime HD camera on front of both the models.
- The new phones come with new A10 Fusion CPU which is 40% faster than iPhone 6s and twice as fast as iPhone 6.
- There is a new 6-core GPU; 60% faster than the last year’s model.
- iPhone 7 has about 2 hours more battery life as compared to iPhone 6s.
- Apple will start pre-ordering from September 9, 2016 with shipping on September 16, 2016. iPhone 7 starts at $649 and iPhone 7 Plus at $749.