Xiaomi has just entered the laptop market with their new Mi Notebook Air which comes in two sizes – 12.5-inch and 13.3-inch. The new laptop doesn’t just sound like the MacBook Air, it also bears a striking resemblance to the latter. And the company is also touting that its 13% thinner than MacBook Air and overall 11% smaller.
On the outside, Mi Notebook Air comes with a unibody metallic design in two colors – silver and gold. The 13-inch model weighs 2.82 lbs (1.28kg), slightly more than the Apple MacBook Air which weights 2.38 lbs. There is no logo on the outer surface of the laptop, there is only one Mi logo under the display.
Mi Notebook Air 13.3-inch Specifications:
- Intel Core i5-6200U processor
- 8GB DDR4 RAM (2133 MHz)
- Expandable 256GB PCIe SSD
- NVIDIA GeForce 940MX GPU with 1GB GDDR5 RAM
- Powered by Windows 10 Home
- Lightweight, full-metal body
- 9.5 hours extended battery life, supports 1C quick charging, can be charged to 50% in just 30 minutes
- 802.11ac dual-band Wi-Fi
- AKG custom grade dual speakers, supports Dolby Digital surround sound
- 5.59mm ultra-thin bezel
- 13.3-inch 1080p FHD display with edge-to-edge glass protection
- Ultra-thin, individually backlit, full-sized keyboard
- Full set of connectors: HDMI, USB 3.0 x 2, 3.5mm headphone jack, USB Type-C
- Supports Bluetooth 4.1 and can be unlocked with Mi Band 2
- 309.6mm x 210.9mm x 14.8mm; 1.28kg
- Mi Cloud Sync ready
- Logoless exterior, clean minimalistic design
- RMB 4999 ($750, Rs 75,000)
Mi Notebook Air 12.5-inch Specifications:
- Ultra-light full metal body, 12.9mm thin, weighs only 1.07kg
- 11.5 hours battery life, supports 1C quick charging
- Intel Core M3 processor
- 4GB RAM
- Expandable 128GB SATA SSD
- powered by Windows 10 Home
- 1080p FHD screen with edge-to-edge glass protection
- AKG custom dual speakers, Dolby digital surround sound
- Mi Cloud Sync ready
- RMB 3599 ($540, Rs 54,000)
There are some very exciting features of the Mi Notebook Air which gives it an edge over the competitors. To begin with, the specifications it offers in its size makes it very interesting. Similarly sized laptop with similar specifications cost about $200-300 more and most of them dont have a dedicated GPU but Xiaomi’s 13.3-inch variant comes with a reasonable NVIDIA GeForce 940MX. Despite such good specifications, both the models come with about 10 hours of battery life and on top of that, there is fast charging support which charges up the battery to 50% in 30 minutes only. That should be enough for about 4-5 hours of usage.
Unlike Macbook, the Mi Notebook Air also comes with ample options in terms of expansion ports. It has two USB 3.0 ports, a headphone jack, an HDMI and a USB Type-C. Keyboards on both the laptops are full size and come with individually back-lit keys. It can also be unlocked using Mi Band 2 and sync with Mi Cloud.
All in all, the Mi Notebook Air is a very good option for people who are on a budget. Currently its only available in China from August 2 and there is no indication about when or if it will hit other countries.